Sunday, April 27, 2008

Sultry Sunday

phew, it's hot today. Kind of nice. Spent the afternoon at the neighborhood pool with the girls. This weekend I took a step and actually went to a prospective student weekend at a seminary about two hours from here. It's not somewhere I envision myself going, but it is a possibility. Though not an obvious choice within my denomination. It's funny how relative it all is. Depending on who you ask, they think this seminary is "too conservative" or "too liberal." That is very funny to me. I'm still shocked by the sheer spectrum of theology in Christianity. It's mind-boggling. And sad. But then I think it's quite glorious that there are so many expressions through the church...as varied as all of humanity, it seems. It would be nice if there was a bit less divisiveness over it and less "us and them" thinking. The was very interesting and very helpful - it helped clarify how I actually might be an Episcopalian after all. And that felt good. To just have a teeny more clarity. I went with one of my favorite girlfriends and that was wonderful. I also found a cool conference this summer about Christian formation and youth ministry so I'm thinking about going to that. Husband leaves in June for two weeks and I'm feeling pretty okay about it but everyone now and then I start to panic...TWO WEEKS with the girls by myself??? But heck, it will be fine. I'll just have to make it fun. Let my 5 year old sleep with me, go out to eat, go visit friends....I'm going to try to look at this as an opportunity, but not quite there yet. I know two weeks isn't that long in the long run, but even 1 hour can seem endless with my little ones when they're not getting along.

3 comments:

Di said...

xoxoxo, and I'm right there with you on the "us and them" bit.

-Di

Terri said...

oh, how exciting, a visit to a seminary, really does help codify thoughts and direction a bit....each seminary does have its "ethos" but I think one that is known for being both conservative by some and liberal by others is OK....kind of a middle of the road seminary?

Two weeks without your husband! YIKES!!!

Actually I find that when I single parent we do enter (or make that did, since mine are mostly grown) into a groove - and I liked the opportunity to just do everything on my schedule and my likes and not accommodate what my husband might want or need (like, he was often tired and just wanted to be home...and I was often TIRED of home and wanted to be out)...

anyway, I hope you find a fun groove with the girls...

Diane M. Roth said...

It sounds like you are moving along in your discernment process. have fun at the seminary :)