Tuesday, September 18, 2007

The Wild Goose




Things bubbling up today. You know those times? When little bubbles of spirit come to the surface.

Tonight I attended a talk at my church led by two people who recently went on pilgrimage to the Iona community, on a teeny island in Scotland. Many many people go on pilgrimage there each year. Its site is one of the oldest in Christianity. It's a community dedicated to ecumenism, refreshing inclusive and creative liturgy, stewardship of the environment, peace, and activism in the world. Man, I want to go there.

One of the travelers talked about the worship services. They sounded amazing. Full of expansive poetic language, with gaelic hints. And theatrical interesting ideas for worship services. As I listened, it was like my soul perked up. like a little puppy taking a snooze then smelling something interesting and pricking up its ears.

This notion of finding new ways to worship, and working with language, music and the arts is so at the heart of this vocation I'm feeling out. Okay, duh, no news there, I suppose. Most clergy thrive in this arena. But as I feel my way in the dark, this is definitely a candle that lights my path. Maybe it's my theatre background. Maybe it's my love of language and music. But it all comes together in the creating of meaningful liturgy. And I have very little experience in this. But it so attracts me. And there is definitely a nugget in here about ecumenism. One of the most powerful worship services I experienced was the Thomas Mass. It got it's start in Finland and it's an example of bringing together all our varied Christian traditions into one service, sprinkled with embodied, incarnational ways to reflect on the scripture or sermon. Very cool.

And sometimes I wonder if I'm in the wrong denomination. Wrong for me, that is. I've only officially been an Episcopalian for two years. I was raised in the Presbyterian church. The Anglican liturgy was so new and ancient and poetic for me...my heart lurched toward it and for some reason(s) it's the only church I've ever been able to picture myself ordained into. I also like the "big tent" philosophy in the Anglican tradition and the "middle way." But sometimes I wonder if I'm acting too impulsively.

Anyway, some things that I loved about tonight were the Iona tradition of likening the Holy Spirit to a wild goose, as opposed to a little dove. The holy spirit as noisy and swift and disturbing and wild. I love this.

She also spoke of faith as an adventure. Yes.

And of course I so resonate lately with this notion of pilgrimage. That we are all pilgrims on ajourney to discover the holy...in the world around us, in those we meet on the way, in ourselves. Just beautiful.

6 comments:

Jan said...

I like the idea of pilgrimage, too, and would love to go to Iona. How lovely to hear about their worship services firsthand. Thanks for the description of the Holy Spirit as a wild goose!

Diane M. Roth said...

I have heard of the Thomas Mass, and am intrigued by it. loved your description of your heart "lurching" toward the poetry in the Anglican liturgy.

Di said...

My own thought for myself is that there's not really a "right" denomination for any of us. Some are clearly better fits than others, but our relationships with God, and our understanding of community, is generally much broader than any denominational guidelines.

So much for my being a good little Anglican. That was probably shot, anyway, though.

Terri said...

Regarding denominationalism, I agree with Mrs. M. Although I explored a variety of other faith traditions before I found the Episcopal Church, and was very relieved to find it. I was born into the LDS church, exposed to Southern Baptist tent revivals, and had some exposure to RC, along with Hinduism and Buddhism. I really thought all of Christianity was like the three I mention...and grateful to learn it was not...(there is only way to salvation and it's through THIS church, and other dogma and doctrinal stuff).

It is a journey. I hope to go to Iona one day, everyone I know who has gone loves it.

RevDrKate said...

The only "right" path, denom, etc is the one that is right for you. It is only our human need that has God in these boxes anyway, IMHO. I too loved (and share) the "lurching" toward the poetry in the Anglican liturgy. I lurched and fell in with an audible clunk!

Iris said...

Next RevGal event at Iona?
If only.....