Friday, September 7, 2007

Friday Five: on Overcoming

Sally at Revgals give us this week's Friday Five:

1.Have you experienced God's faithfulness at a difficult time? Tell as much or as little as you like...

As many of the revgals have mentioned, I've always felt an abiding presence of God. God's always been faithful. It's I who have been unfaithful...to myself, to my God, to my life. And this brings me to...


2. Have you experienced a dark night of the soul, if so what brought you through?

That is when I feel like I'm experiencing a dark night of the soul...when I feel God, yes, but I don't feel me. Does this make sense? And I'm there now, folks. So I choose to choose to trust. And to continue to rest in that presence I feel. And to TRY to have a sense of humor about it all. But it's hard. And in my worst moments I take it out on my daughters. :(

3. Share a Bible verse, song, poem that has brought you comfort?

My favorite hymn is "Be Thou my Vision."
And I love this Bible verse: "When you call me, when you go to pray to me, I will listen to you. When you look for me, you will find me. Yes, when you seek me with all your heart, you will find me with you, says the Lord." Jeremiah 29:12-14

But ya know, I've read some posts of yours that express a reality that challenges this promise of God's. Who knows? Maybe there is an intentional withdrawing that God does sometimes. But I struggle with that possibility. It's too close to the notion that God causes suffering. Which brings me to...

4. Is "why suffering" a valid question?

Yes of course, a very valid question. And no answers. Sometimes I think of C.S. Lewis' analogy of the blows of the sculptor's chisel are what create and reveal the beauty and potential that was hidden beneath the raw stone. But seems a little simple. Dunno.


5. And on a lighter note- you have reached the end of a dark and difficult time- how are you going to celebrate?

Hmmm. Not sure. I think I'd celebrate by truly being full of joy in the moment. Of living that moment whomever I'm with fully with joy and presence. Because whenever I come out of a dark and difficult time, just the day to day moments feel free and joyful when not shadowed and burdened with darkness. And alas, PERSPECTIVE, that healer and merry-maker comes again.

4 comments:

Sally said...

I love that C.S. Lewis analogy, it even makes sense to me, thank you for taking part in F5 today.

Terri said...

Really hard stuff to ponder. I always believed God was right there...maybe I couldn't see God, but God was there nonetheless. So, yeah, it's wierd to be in a different place, a place of thinking God is gone.

Why?

Well, I trust that someday I will understand.

I am holding you in my thoughts and prayers as you begin your discernment committtee.

And, we (my congregation) are beginning to write our "This I Believe" essays. It's exciting! I have 5 for sure, and three maybe's. I think it's interesting the three maybe's are men....

I am printing your essay in our newsletter. Would you like a copy of it? If so, use email to send me your snail mail address - or I can email it to you via a PDF file. Your choice....

Diane M. Roth said...

yes, I like your favorite hymn, too. and the c.s. lewis analogy is good, but you're right, it's not the whole story.

Jan said...

Thank you. I liked reading about you. I appreciate you coming to my blog, too.