Thursday, November 1, 2007

the dark


As today is All Saints Day, I was reading through some of my Madeleine L'Engle collection and I came across a story she told in one of her Crosswicks journals. As I re-tell it here, I am paraphrasing. As a young woman, L'Engle was at a conference at Yale Divinity School and the speaker was a child psychiatrist of note. He opened the discussion up to questions, and one woman asked, "Why is it that everything falls apart at home around 5pm? What is it about that time of day that is the witching hour?" He replied with the obvious reasons: tired and hungry children, mother irritable after a long day at home, father comes home tired from work and not wanting to deal with the stress of the home, etc. (this was obviously a more "traditional" generation). And then he said, "Do you want to know the real reason? We're all afraid of the dark." Woah. This struck me today as very profound. And true. The doctor continued to speak, "And what do with our children who are afraid of the dark?" One mother answered: "We give them night lights." Yes. And Madeleine has been a night light for me. She is someone who is very aware of the dark, of the evil and hateful forces. She engages them in her writing and she does not deny them at all. Yet her theology and life are so full of hope and affirmation. Thank you, Madeleine, for being a night light in the dark.

6 comments:

Diane M. Roth said...

we're all afraid of the dark.
Woah indeed.
wonder who that child psychiatrist was?
great reflections.

Terri said...

that is profound...

Jan said...

I liked reading your reflections, rather belatedly. I'm just catching up with fellow bloggers. . . .Madeleine was a beacon for me in many ways. Thank you.

Iris said...

Thank you. Just beautiful. Madeleine L'Engle touched many lives, didn't she?

RevDrKate said...

Oh. My. That is some food for thought on many levels. Thanks for sharing.

Di said...

Absolutely, amen.