Sunday, April 20, 2008

Theatre of Cruelty

So tonight we decided to have a "family meeting." After weeks of terrible sibling rivalry we decided to take matters into our own hands and try to be creative in our parenting. After all, the time-outs, threats, bribes and talks have not been working. So we lit candles, sang a song all together, and performed a little skit for our kids (ages 3 and 5). Well by the time our skit was over, both girls were in tears and hysterics. It was hilarious, actually. Are we really that good at acting? They thought what we acted out was horrible. In truth, it was merely what I've been witnessing from them over the past weeks. Guess it hit home! Then we talked about why they thought it was so sad and scary. And then, of course, we did a happy version and all was well. I'm getting excited about our Sunday night family theatre! As long as I don't send them into years of therapy in the future! :)

3 comments:

Iris said...

Very cool! You have very mature little girls.

However, I think my kids, 4 and 7, would laugh out loud and say, "do it again!"

Terri said...

I think it's a great idea! And besides, there is no guarentee of what will send our kids into therapy, and even if they do go it's a good thing not a bad thing - so don't worry about it and trust your instincts!

Di said...

I'm sorry that it was necessary, but I'm stunned by your creativity!