Sunday, May 6, 2007

What's your name?

I heard an awesome sermon in church this morning. And it got me thinking...the theme was: What is your name in Christ? The priest challenged us to find our name, but not the name of our petty selves, or even our idealized selves, but our true selves, our selves in God. And she confessed that once she got past her false names and obvious labels, she came up with her name as Christian. But then she realized that that word has so much baggage nowadays...it means completely different things, depending on who you are and who is hearing it. Unfortunately. So what's my name? On my best days, maybe it's something like She Who Sheds Light or She Who Encourages or She Who Gives Life but today my name was She Who is Full of Resentment and Dumps it on her Husband. or She Who is the Most Narcissistic Person Ever or She who threatens her children because she can't think of more creative parenting techniques. I know I'm way too hard on myself. I know that my name in God doesn't change even on days when I'm full of darkness. I know that it's hard being married to someone who has a dream job while I'm home with the kids. But I fear I have the grass-is-always-greener disease. I've been so selfish lately. I'm trying to find the balance between being authentic and being loving. I need to ask for what I need. I need to stand up for it. But I need to love my husband. I need to be happy for him that he is being fulfilled and challenged in his job. I can be such a baby sometimes. I don't want martyr to be part of my name.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Definitely don't be so hard on yourself. You won't find that name through self-denial or self-punishment. (Uh-oh, this may be one of those moments where I am talking to myself...) You have my prayers for courage to face the inner struggle; it's so often the hardest.

Sally said...

wow this really resonates with me- how easy it is to become resentful- I pray you will soon be "she who has found joy and peace".... btw If you find it send some my way.

welcome to revgals :-)

Iris said...

Wonderful, thoughtful post. Welcome to RGBP!

more cows than people said...

great reflection. may your name emerge beautiful and promising! welcome to the revgals ring!

Cathy said...

Welcome to RevgalBlogPals! I have been reading several of your posts - very thoughtful and lots to chew on.