Friday, July 27, 2007

Friday Five

First of all, can someone kindly tell me how to get pictures as part of the blog post, and not just above the post? How do I incorporate pictures within the individual post??

1. Have you experienced living through an extreme weather event- what was it and how did you cope?
Okay, so I was born and raised in Southern California, so not much extreme weather events there. BUT despite that, my biggest fear as a child was a tornado. I was utterly terrified. Not make much sense, huh? Since we NEVER get tornadoes in southern Cali. But what can I say? I was a sensitive child with a wild imagination. Just the image in my mind of a funnel cloud still sends shivers down my spine. We had very windy hot winds, called the Santa Anas. They're kind of spooky and people associate them with "earthquake weather." Was I afraid of earthquakes like I should have been? Nope. Tornadoes. And a close second was tidal waves. BUT just this summer I experienced a crazy storm on a teeny lake in the north tip of Idaho and I was so brave. Even though it really was like a cyclone, I remained calm. Because my girls were watching me and so I had to be. And we lost power for 6 days. Cool. Glad to be home.

2. How important is it that we wake up to issues such as global warming?

Very important. very. What will it take for us to wake up? An inconvenient truth definitely made an impact. It did on me. And I find myself asking the question, what will it take to make real changes in how we live? I fear as long as there is the option to ignore it, we will. As long as the threat isn't imminent, we don't really change. I make an effort. But I could make a bigger one. Convenience and habit are nasty little powerful things.

3. The Christian message needs to include stewardship of the earths resources agree/ disagree?

Agree. God gave us this creation for us. There is so much of God in the creation. The church should be spending more time and energy on this message.

And because it is summer- on a brighter note....

4. What is your favourite season and why?

Hmmm...the Fall. Even though I live somewhere where "the Fall" might as well be summer winter or Spring, I have become attuned to the difference in this season...the air is drier and cooler and the sky is bluer. The few deciduous trees in my city lose their leaves and I seek out those crunchy sycamore leaves on the sidewalks. I pretend it's more fall-like than it appears and it does wonders...I feel like baking and sipping apple cider and going apple picking. I think there's also something so poetic in Autumn...something so melancholy and bittersweet and metaphorical. Just love it.

5. Describe your perfect vacation weather....

A little humid (because that feels "other" and romantic to me), mostly sunny, but weather coming in and out....like Kauai where the day starts out a little humid and warm, then out of nowhere a thunderstorm comes and dumps crazy rain for 10 minutes, then leaves with just the trace of freshness and then a rainbow appears and more hot sun. Or like the skies in Minnesota in the summer...kind of the same thing...

7 comments:

Sally said...

well said "Convenience and habit are nasty little powerful things"- as for tornadoes I'm none to keen and oddly we are getting more and more of the nasties over here

Terri said...

Yes. I too have a deep fear of tornados. I, however, have lived in tornado regions most of my life. I've experienced the ski turning green and the wind going wild and the hail that falls in torrents...thankfully I've never had to live through actual tornado twister damage to my immediate area. sadly, others have. Tornados are unpredictable, which increases the fear factor.

So, good that you live where there are no tornados!

Jan said...

I've always been afraid of tornadoes, too. I live where there can be hurricanes, and it's scarey for me to think that tornadoes arise within them.

Diane M. Roth said...

I'm afraid of tornadoes too.
and I'm afraid I can't get a picture to post above my post (like you do).

Di said...

Grace dear, I spent
1st
2nd
3rd
5th
7th
9th
10th
grades in Oceanside.

Where in SoCal were you?!

Gannet Girl said...

On the picture question:

In post mode, switch from "Compose" to "Edit html."

Now your writing and photos will appear in html format. You can highlight the html for a photo and cut and paste it into any space within your text that you want.

I have NOT figured out how to get my photos to the left or right per my own choice, even using the left-center-right option. They appear one way when I create the posts and entirely differently when the final post emerges. But at least I can embed them in the text.

Hope this helps.

Grace thing said...

Mrs. M, I was in LA.