Friday, August 17, 2007

Friday Five, Word Association Redux

Today is Friday Five from Rev Gals. I'm not feeling particularly verbose today, but I like these words:

Below you will find five words. Tell us the first thing you think of on reading each one. Your response might be simply another word, or it might be a sentence, a poem or a story.

1. vineyard
Well, I think of all the vineyards in these lovely mountains of Southern California...all the wineries and vines full of grapes...and how they're all covered in smoke and ash right now. I think of the great movie Sideways and all the commercialization it's brought to this part of the world, bringing the good and the bad with that. I think about how the vines will continue to produce sweet delicious grapes despite these wildfires...which brings me to the association with the next word...

2. root
I think of roots as the saving element...they go deep down into the soil where they draw deeply from water unaffected (to some extent) from the smoke and dirty air above.

3. rescue
the image of a live-saver comes to mind...the kind a lifeguard might throw to me in a pool.

4. perseverance
Man, I need this now. Perseverance in not giving up on me.

5. divided
Well...the church. That comes to mind immediately.

3 comments:

Terri said...

oh, all the wild fires...my brother lives in the LA area and has a landscaping business...lots of cleaning up after these horrible fires.

Of course in the prairie land we've always heard that the fires are good for the land helps it to regenerate, heal, and grow back better, fresh.

I wonder if that is really true? It makes a good metaphor though...

keep on keeping on with that perseverance!

Diane M. Roth said...

oh, I love the "perserverance is not giving up on me." I needed to hear that just NOW. thanks.

RevAnne said...

Your vineyard and roots allusions remind me of the movie, "A Walk in the Clouds," at the end where they dig us the oldest vine and find that despite great age, transplant, and fire, there's still good rootstock, and life will go on, changed, but with some continuity.