Sunday, August 19, 2007

Help! Attack of Atheism

I know you've had one. An atheism attack. My most recent one happened two days ago after I read about the devastating earthquake in Peru. I know there are horrible things that happen every day. And I shake my head at them, heave a sigh, but move on pretty easily. Probably too easily. But the fact that 85 people died while worshiping in church has just pummelled me. They were praying and the walls caved in. Is nothing sacred? I know children die unjustly every day. And this should send me into despair as well. But it was this that did it for me.

2 comments:

Terri said...

Oh, I get these attacks from time to time too. Lately it has been because not only is there such despair in the world, but in my own life as well. I can't even say, well, that's them...it isn't faceless, it includes me. That really rocks the faith boat, let me tell ya. Especially when it is a prolonged and apparently never ending "problem." I don't mean to be all about me, rather just to add, that when your life is directly included it takes a lot of work. Some days I wonder how I manage to go into the sanctuary, preach the Good News and preside over the Eucharist (the ultimate hope and grace) when I feel the way I do. Well. Thankfully the church has determined that the validity of the sacraments is not dependent upon the worthiness of the priest. It's the Holy Spirit...

My hope is that those people were at least spared pain and anguish and fear, and died a (fast) holy death in the arms of Christ.

Diane M. Roth said...

yes, me too. actually, preaching and leading worship helps...