Friday, April 27, 2007

mixed messages

Well, I'm home from my hour meeting with my priest. It went well, in that I was myself and answered his questions honestly. Which is actually an accomplishment for me. And I know that I look WAY too much to other people to tell me what to do, but I'm still confused. On one hand, he was assuming I was headed (eventually) for seminary. And on the other hand, he asked if I'd read Countryman's book Living on the Border of the Holy, which of course is one of my favorite books, BUT it emphasizes the priesthood of all and is an advocate for the priesthood of the laity. We spent the first half of our time together talking about logistics...that a local seminary with a commuter program would actually be a possibility for me since it meets only one weekend a month...a Friday night and a Saturday day. So that is totally do-able. Then I asked him about finding a spiritual director. He thinks it should probably be an ordained woman and that made me really happy. Someone who has gone through all that and is on that side of things. At least it will be someone who was asked "Why be ordained" and was able to answer it, or become ordained anyway. But then, at the very end I asked him about the discernment committee and that I was afraid you had to be sure of your call before you started because it seems to be a defense of call in committee, rather than a prayerful exploration. But he said no, that at first it's discerning what God is doing in me, then if it becomes clear that it's to ordained ministry, then the discernment committee at that time, switches its focus. That makes sense and makes me want to jump in right now. He would not give me anything. It has to come from me, dammit. He did say he suspects I'll be like Nora Gallagher (author of Practicing Resurrection, a great book about her journey in discernment) who had to consider it really seriously and dive in, before she knew that it wasn't right. He's right. That is me. The only thing he offered was that if we were still having this conversation in 5 years, then that would be really sad. I agree, but what did he mean? Was he saying, c'mon, dive in. But when you're ready. But get ready! Yes, I think that's what he was saying. But HE suggested ordination to two other folks...he suggested it before they did. I guess I just want him to push me. But he's not sure. I'm not sure. Then, at the very end he brought up this annoying job that the church is trying to fill. And he asked me if I'd consider taking it. No! Horrible job. But now I feel bad not taking it. They need someone. Then he said no problem and said he just had to ask, but could I at least pray that the church finds the right person, that I have a vested interest in it since I'm going to be a clerical...seriously, it was a total slip of the tongue, then he changed the subject. So anyway...I guess I just wish he had talked a bit more about my work on the Lenten series...but I didn't even bring that up. I'm supposed to consider some of the names for spiritual directors...the one he is seriously considering for me is not ordained and is a strong advocate for lay ministry. I don't know if that would be good for me. Not now. Maybe later if I realize ordination is not for me. But right now I need someone who has actually gone through that process, who wanted to, who believes in it. Anyway, going to an avant-garde production of the Tempest tonight, then a party afterwards. Should be fun. I'm all be-fuddled. It will take my mind off this. He had me pray at the end and I mumbled something about following God and he said, "May following Jesus be fun." Amen.

7 comments:

Di said...

Hey, sweetie.

Just wanted to thank you for stopping by the Kitchen Door. Also, I read this post, and wanted to let you know that it won't make any difference at all whether your SD is lay or clergy. I've had one who was a layperson, but extremely encouraging of my moving towards priesthood. For that matter, your SD doesn't have to be the same denomination. I'm working with a UCC woman now, but would seriously consider a Catholic nun as well.

I have found that spiritual direction is much more useful when I make it less about discernment/ordination, and more about my personal spiritual life. If you let it, it can be a wonderful area of growth and safety where you are nurtured but not examined (as you will be in most of this process).

Grace thing said...

Wow! So cool to get your comment, Mrs. M. Thank you for your thoughts, I really appreciate them.

Unknown said...

I don't know if you'll see this, since the post has been up for a while, but I just wondered: were the two people your priest encouraged male or female? If I'm reading a gender bias that is not really present, I apologize. But it's not clear whether he is mirroring diffidence he senses in you, or whether his own diffidence is influencing you to be uncertain.
I agree with Mrs. M that a spiritual director doesn't need to be the same denomination. But I think working with and being around ordained women of any type might be helpful to you.

Terri said...

I agree on all accounts about the Spiritual Director. I saw for many years a lay woman (of the same denomination, Episcopal). She was wonderful and helped me through the muddle of whether to be ordained or not. I could really see a vital ministry either way. I ended up ordained, and that was the right thing - but I truly would not know how right until I lived awhile as an ordained person serving in a parish.

So. Discerning is complex. I am convinced there is no one right way. I think God opens up a path for us. That path may have a fork along the way. God says, choose your direction. This is my gift to you. Choose. and I will go with you. You will not be alone.

perhaps you are standing at the fork in your path. ask for a discernment committee to help you see the way to turn. find a spiritual director as well. find one you like, it won't matter if s/he is ordained or lay or of the same denomination...although I must caution you, some diocesan discernment committees (COM's or whatever your diocese calls them) strongly encourage a spiritual director of the same denomination (and they may even prefer ordained SD)...your priest appears to guiding you with wisdom, this may be wise advise as well....

What an exciting time for you. I look forward to learning of your journey as you travel on...

Grace thing said...

Thanks, Mompriest and Songbird. So wonderful to have your feedback. To answer your question, Songbird, the two people my priest encouraged toward ordination were one man and one woman...so no gender bias there. I think you're on to something...the priest is indeed mirroring diffidence he senses in me. That's why he's being a good advisor...he knows I have to make the choice and I sense he'll help me along the path, but I have to actually make the choice myself.

Maggie said...

Two things: 1) Does your diocese have vocational deacons? I was thinking priest for years and turned out to have a different calling 2)By all means, read Barbara Brown Taylor's Leaving Church.

Kathryn said...

Just wanted to say that I really resonated with your commment about wanting your priest to give you a clear lead...I first went to a national selection conference (how it works in C of E is local conversations, diocesan interviews, then 3 day selection conference)largely because I didn't know what my calling was, and my bishop had told me to go. The conference said "NO" but while I was there, I became really clear that actually my vocation was to priesthood...so I went home on one hand defeated, and on the other affirmed...but it was only when I knew and owned my calling myself that I was able to proceed with it.
I still tend to do things more on the advice of others...(I'm doing a spiritual directors course at the moment because my bishop suggested it) but if that advice doesn't chime with my own heart, there's no point. I think its about self confidence, about reticence in laying claim to things we may know we want badly....
Hard work, anyway.
But my utterly wonderful SpirDir during all the discernment process was a laywoman, as was the one who saw me through vicar-school and the first 2 years of ordained ministry.
So glad to read that you've landed the right one!