Monday, January 14, 2008

Feathers

Well, call me superstitious, but someone once told me that when you come upon a feather, it is a sign that the Holy Spirit has been with you. I don't know where this comes from, but there have been uncanny moments in my life where a feather has come at a very interesting time...it sure has seemed like a sign of the Spirit.

Today I made an important decision. I accepted an offer of significant lay leadership at my church (volunteer position). It is a 4 year commitment and I'm trying to see how this is complementary to my seminary journey and not a stop in its flow. It's ministry. And it is the perfect next step. It was just VERY HARD to make a 4 year commitment when I feel so uncertain about the future. I agonized about it for a week, then while staring at the elephants at the zoo with my youngest daughter, I made the decision to accept. I hung up the phone with only a slight twinge of "O God, what have I done?" and my little girl pointed to something on the slide in front of her. It was a teeny soft feather. It almost made me weep. It truly felt like a hug from the Spirit. An affirmation. It may have just been a feather, but I am choosing to believe it was more.

4 comments:

Jan said...

I didn't know that about feathers.

What a lovely affirmation for you. I'm glad you came to that decision.

Terri said...

Ok, but which one did you choose? You had a choice of one of two....

and, yes, I think things like that are possible...for me it's butterflys...

Iris said...

Praise God for speaking to us in many ways: big and small.

Blessings on all that God had called you to be and do.

Grace thing said...

Mompriest, I chose Christian Formation. But see my latest post...having second thoughts now.