Friday, February 8, 2008

Friday Five: What are you doing for Lent?

Mother Laura over at Revgals offers us this Friday Five:

1. Did you celebrate Mardi Gras and/or Ash Wednesday this week? How?
I took my whole family to our Ash Wednesday service. The girls were upstairs in the nursery while Husband and I attended the service. I love the ashes smeared on everyone's foreheads, listening to the hushed tones of the priests reminding us that we are dust...it's all so theatrical. L'Engle writes of us being made of stardust. What would it be like to have stardust rubbed on our foreheads? Oh dear, I'm spending too much time with my 4 year-old daughter.

2. What was your most memorable Mardi Gras/Ash Wednesday/Lent?
Hmmm...I suppose my first service, which was only a few years ago. I grew up a Presbyterian and I'm not sure there was an Ash Wednesday service. I don't think Lent was ever mentioned in my Sunday School.

3. Did you/your church/your family celebrate Lent as a child? If not, when and how did you discover it?
I discovered it in college for the first time, but not personally until a few years ago.

4. Are you more in the give-up camp, or the take-on camp, or somewhere in between?
I'm definitely in the in-between. I love doing both and find each one profoundly helpful.

5. How do you plan to keep Lent this year?
I'm giving up alcohol this Lent. I've gotten too used to having a glass of wine every night and it makes me sleepy and a little fuzzy and I want to be present this Lent. It's time to do this. I'm adding on a practice of centering prayer every day and I'm going to focus on a word that keeps coming to me: SURRENDER.

4 comments:

Auntie Knickers said...

It's impossible to spend too much time with a four-year-old daughter, especially if she makes you think about ideas like using stardust instead of ashes! I liked your play.

Dr. Laura Marie Grimes said...

I thought about stardust too...very cool.

Blessings on your speaking, your discernment, and your Lent.

RevDrKate said...

This gave me shivers. I wrote a post about my Ash Wednesday stardust thoughts here, and my Lent focus is trust and submission, not all that far off surrender. Hmmmm....

Grace thing said...

Woah, Redrkate. just read your post. That is so synchronous. i LOVE that. There is a line connecting us this Lent. And that makes me happy. Blessings to you on your Lenten journey. I will hold you with me on mine.