Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Speaking of Faith

My latest obsession is NPR's Speaking of Faith. (speakingoffaith.org), hosted by Krista Tippett, who I kind of want to be. She's an incredible interviewer. Anyway the one of the recent interviews was of Karen Armstrong...a controversial figure in some Christian circles, I believe...she subscribes to a "freelance monotheism." I liked some of her ideas....that theology should be like poetry; that when someone hears a theological idea, it should resonate within them like poetry, and inspire and move them deeply. She likes to think of religion as an art form....that we should take as great care with our rites and rituals as we do in writing a poem...that we should make our rituals absolutely beautiful and inspiring. I definitely echo these beliefs, but this is no surprise since I see such deep connection between ritual and theatre. Theatre was originally religious ritual.

6 comments:

Terri said...

Well my first degree was in Technical Theater for Dance and my first job was designing lights for dance and running dance concerts (like a stage manager)...so i totally agree. Liturgy should be like art...and just as fine and meaningful as we can create it...i have to find out when that radio program is broadcast where I am...not that NPR always come in well (sigh)...

Di said...

I LOVE Speaking of Faith. Podcasts of it have gotten me through several long runs. I think you might like an old one-- Krista interviewed Sr. Joan Chittister, and it was fan-tastic!

Grace thing said...

I've heard that one, Mrs M, and I did love it.

RevDrKate said...

I LOVE Krista and SOF! Am with Mrs. M. I listen late at night when I can't sleep.

Mompriest, you can get them as podcasts, so you can download and listen anytime.

Diane M. Roth said...

I agree about poetry! (being an english major...)

and please, when you are in my neck of the woods, look me up (my email is at my place)

Iris said...

I listen to SOF on Sundays as I drive back to my city. Good stuff.