Friday, June 8, 2007

Friday Five: Island Escape Edition

As posted by Cathy over at http://www.revgals.blogspot.com

We snitched a bit of time on an quiet island nearby this week. It was a last minute plan, escaping with a minimal amount of preparation. One must have essentials that make it a relaxing time. Perhaps you have had this opportunity to escape, or maybe it's only been a thought to get away. However, suppose you were told to pack some essentials for a trip to get away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life.Describe your location, in general or specific terms and....
1) What book(s) will you bring?
Okay, so I'm a total dork. Normally, I CRAVE and LUST after island getaways, but right now, as I answer these Friday Five questions, I'm salivating at my ACTUAL escape that is coming up in just a few days. I'm going to a monastery in the mountains for a one night retreat all by myself. No husband. No kids. No schedule. So...I'm not bringing any books because they have this great bookstore and I'm going to have to exert major willpower to just buy a few. And I will leaf through those books while I'm there.
2) What music accompanies you?
None. This will be a time of gorgeous symphonic harmonious QUIET.
3) What essentials of everyday living must you take (as in the health and beauty aids aisle variety)?
Sunscreen, lipgloss, the basics.
4) What technological gadgets if any, will you take with you or do you leave it all behind?
None. Except for my cell phone in case there's an emergency. But I will NOT be making any outgoing calls, nor will I answer the phone. Just there in case my hubbie has to leave me a message regarding emergency.
5) What culinary delights will you partake in while there?
Ummm...the meals are made by the brothers. They're supposed to be quite good. I hope the mealtimes aren't too awkward. I think breakfast is in silence, so that might be nice. I'm hoping to meet some of them...we'll see.
As a bonus question, what makes for a perfect day on vacation for you?
Assuming we're talking out-of-monastery vacations, plenty of time to read, to meander through the day, lots of time outdoors. A good meal at night with a bottle of wine.

3 comments:

Terri said...

Oh. I love going on retreat. Even if for one day. It is so luxurious. I like it best if there are some grounds to walk on. I do a lot of my reflecting and prayer while walking (ergo the reference to Tobit under the picture of my dogs on my blog)...

I hope you have (have?) a really excellent time!!

Oh. and when you return, stop by my blog to read my sermon and see how I used your suggestions Anne Lamott! Thanks again for them!

Cathy said...

I love the comment "gorgeous symphonic harmonious QUIET"

And going on a monastic retreat sound heavenly!

Terri said...

Grace, I tagged you for meme on eight random things. check out my blog for the game and directions, if you want to play...