Monday, June 11, 2007

I've been tagged: Eight Random Things

Okay, first the rules:

1. Each player starts with eight random facts/habits about themselves.
2. People who are tagged need to write their own blog about their eight things and post these rules.
3.At the end of your blog, you need to choose eight people to get tagged and list their names.
4. Don’t forget to leave them a comment telling them they’re tagged, and to read your blog.

8 Random things about me:

1. I haven't talked much about my two little ones on my blog. Which is strange because they are a WEALTH of good stories. I suppose I've focused on things theological and they don't fit into that category a whole lot...except lately since my 4 year old...let's call her Center of Attention...has been asking me lots of questions about God. I tried to explain that when we pray, God can hear us. So when she prays with me at bedtime she says, "Hi, God. Are you there? Is that Him, Mama? Can he hear me? Why doesn't he have a voice? If he lives in my heart, where is my heart? Does he live in our cat's heart? Does he live in my stomach? Why did Jesus die? What did Jesus look like? Is he alive? Why can't I see him?" You know...THOSE easy questions to answer. And as usual with children, in the face of their earnest questions and my stumbling attempts at answering, I come face to face with what I truly believe. Or what I have no idea about (which is most of it).

2. I was once, gulp, this is SO embarrassing, a debutante. That's right, folks, coming out party and all. And it was the biggest conflict I ever had with my mother. It was so important to her that I do this whole thing and I found it repulsive and dripping with money and generally icky. She even made me take cotillion dance lessons. She says to me in a teasing way, "You will always be a debutante." Harumph. My small act of rebellion was to ask one of my highschool teachers as my date. Well, he wasn't really a teacher, he was the piano accompanist for my highschool singing group. He was super cute, though he looked a little like Kenny G with his crazy long curly hair, and he was significantly older than me and helped me mock the whole evening, respectfully...meaning, no one knew we were inwardly mocking and snickering. We're still friends and that night is a great source of laughter.

3. I have a secret passion to be in musical theatre. Wait, that's not true. I USED to have this dream. Don't really have it anymore. But last night I watched the Tony Awards and it stirred up those old passions. I even stood in my kitchen alone and belted out a ballad just to prove I still had it. But...um, I didn't really still have it. :) It was fun, anyway.

4. I have a MFA in Theatre and now I'm following a call into the church and you know what? Church is the best theatre I've ever seen. Hmm...maybe that's why I'm an Episcopalian.

5. I wish Madeleine L'Engle was my aunt who lived next door. And that she was 20 years younger, so she'd be on this earth a bit more.

6. I just noticed something about myself. It's not actually new, but it hit me in a new way. I've always been someone who has found it very easy to be positive. To be full of good energy. People have often commented that I naturally radiate a love and a joy and a light. But you know what? When I come home, I get a bit shadowy. Not that I don't have moments at home of joy and laughter and ease...there is much of this. But lately, I notice that out in the world I'm full of light, and at home I'm under a cloud. What does this mean? I have the most wonderful family EVER. Granted, having two little ones is challenging. But still...I want to radiate that same love and joy to THEM. That's my job. That's more important than how I act at the grocery store to perfect strangers. Hmmm....going to have to reflect on that one. It's definitely a pattern in my life. I remember being that way in my teen years. There's a bit of letting down at home, but not sure this is the healthiest way to be.

7. I love guacamole. It is my favorite food ever. And I have the BEST recipe, if anyone is interested.

8. I think N.T. Wright is helping bridge my theology....from my conservative upbringing to my progressive (way out there progressive) church that I currently attend. Still feeling stuck but I have hope at least.

Okay, I will now tag EIGHT of you....
1. Mother Laura here
2. Feminary here
3. Kate here
4. Susie here
5. Reverend Mother here
6. More Cows Than People here
7. Gannet Girl here
8. Cathy here

11 comments:

Hot Cup Lutheran said...

I'm so glad someone else does that when they watch the Tonys! Well... I dance not sing. Okay so I think I can dance... when no one's watching, not even the dog.

Cathy said...

I am with you on Madeleine L'Engle!!!!!

Gannet Girl said...

Eight?! People AND things?!

OK, but it'll take awhile.

I was interested in what you had to say about N.T. Wright. I think he helps me make a bridge in the opposite direction.

I suppose inconsistency is one of my eight.

Terri said...

Oh, like HCL I dance, my first degree is in dance... so I get it. The Episcopal Church and our liturgy is a great place to create...

Fun play, Grace-thing..., thanks!

Diane M. Roth said...

I would love your recipe for Guacamole. MMMM good.

I sing. don't dance. well. Never have. (sigh) So Broadway was out of the questionn.

RevDrKate said...

Oh drat oh drat....I thought I played and posted and even linked! I worked on it all night and Poof! it was gone. Sometimes I think I should be a Luddite and eschew technology completely. There's one random thing. For the other seven check the ozone! Perhaps it will reappear as mysteriously as it went away. Thanks fo inviting me to play.

Stasi said...

Ay yi yi. Eight, huh. Well I have no prob talking about myself (usually) but I'm not sure I'll manage the eight friends. We'll see.

Grace thing said...

I know, I know, eight is a lot. So no pressure. Gannet Girl - NT Wright helps me make a bridge the same direction as you. It's funny...I need bridging in both directions. What does this mean? I feel at home in both camps, but I have a hard time reconciling them to each other. I yearn for more meaning in the middle and I feel like I've found that a bit in NT Wright. Although, he's hardly the middle, right? I'm not conservative. But I feel like some of the "progressive" churches skip a major part of the Gospel...the part that something majorly cosmic happened at Jesus' death.

Grace thing said...

btw - I'll post my guacamole recipe on my blog. Great for the summer!

Susie/Nueva Cantora said...

Mmmm. So glad you posted the guac recipe!

And I think it makes sense for us to need bridges in both directions!

Alright, i'm working on this while I watch tv - should be up tonight.

reverendmother said...

Finally did it! Though I forgot to tag eight people, it seems like I'm the last person in blogland to do it, so...

And LAWDY I love the guac. I would eat it daily if I could. Never, ever, ever get tired of it.

And yes on the musical theater/church connection. It is the greatest show on earth.